Wellness Wednesday – Keep it Movin’ with Nurse Lauren
Hi there, Nurse Lauren here with your Wellness Wednesday tip!
Today, let’s chat about how to keep it movin’ during the day. Do you have a job that requires you to sit…all…day…long? If you are reading this right now – you are already taking a break from your work – so why not take a break and do some exercise!
- Get up and do some squats – try ten… too many? Do five! Start somewhere. Set a timer for every few hours and get up and do some squats! Here in the NICU some of us will get up every hour and squat together. Try to find an accountability partner at work who will do this with you. Not possible? It’s OK – set that timer and do them yourself! Up for a challenge? Add an additional 5-10 squats every hour.
- Stop hunching over your keyboard – it’s terrible for your posture and your health! Try doing some shoulder raises and arm raises when you find your back tensing up. For added weight – grab something within reach – like a stapler or pencil cup from your desk.
- Always take the stairs at work. Avoid elevators at all costs! Have a pedometer? Challenge your co-workers to a step challenge and see who has the most steps by the end of the work day. Staying active is always more fun when there’s competition!
- Start a weight loss challenge in your unit or department. This is a great way to keep moving and to hold yourself and your coworkers accountable for health goals! Have a weekly weigh-in and a cash pot or prize available for the person who loses the most weight! Keep it fun and motivating.
- Feeling stressed at work? Keep moving. Studies show that physical activity decreased stress and anxiety. As you exercise, your body releases chemicals called endorphins. Endorphins send signals to your brain which create feelings of happiness and euphoria. Might as well leave work each day a little happier and healthier!
This is Nurse Lauren, contributor of NursesNOW, signing off with your Wellness Wednesday tip!