The Friday Five – 5 Must-Know Facts about Nurse Practitioners
Today’s Friday Five is in honor of all the Nurse Practitioners (NPs) and brought to you by Matrix Medical Network (@MatrixMedNtwk) one of the largest employers of nurse practitioners in the nation. NPs are at the front lines helping to diagnose and treat COVID-19 patients in primary, specialty, acute and long-term care settings. We thank all NPs for the exceptional care they provide.
1. 89% of NPs are certified in an area of primary care, and 69% of all NPs deliver primary care.
2. 60% of NPs surveyed recently said the pandemic has strengthened their commitment to the nursing profession, which is good news in light of ongoing concerns about nurses leaving the healthcare industry, especially with another COVID-19 surge underway. More than 90% of NPs feel technology such as telehealth has had a positive impact on their nursing abilities.
3. The need for NPs is so great that the US Bureau for Labor Statistics (BLS) predicts that openings for nurse practitioners, nurse anesthetists and nurse midwives will grow 45 percent from 2019 to 2029, much faster than the average for all occupations in the U.S.
4. The World Health Organization forecasts the world needs 9 million more nurses and midwives to achieve universal health coverage by 2030.
5. The National Black Nurse Practitioners Association (NBNPA) offers financial assistance; deadline for scholarship applications is Saturday, Nov. 21, 2020.
Sources: American Association of Nurse Practitioners; WHO; United States Bureau for Labor Statistics; National Black Nurse Practitioners Association; Matrix Medical Network 2020 survey of nurse practitioners