Engaging Patients Across Borders
A conversation with Dr. Roberta Schwartz
Dr. Roberta Schwartz, Executive Vice President and Chief Innovation Officer, Houston Methodist Hospital
Dr. Roberta L. Schwartz is the executive vice president and chief innovation officer of Houston Methodist Hospital. She is responsible for overseeing all operations at the academic medical center facility and leading the Center for Innovation. Prior to joining Houston Methodist, Roberta worked for Mount Sinai in NY, spent time in consulting with APM and worked for CMS.
Roberta is a recognized leader in healthcare administration, spends time volunteering in the community and raising three children with her husband Lee.
Listen to the Conversation
- Digital Health Innovator, Dr. Roberta Schwartz, shares her personal journey on how growing up around hospitals, undergoing gallbladder surgery, overcoming breast cancer, supporting a child with Rett syndrome, and consulting in healthcare has formed a deep passion for improving healthcare and the patient experience.
- How a team of digitally obsessed collaborators from varying backgrounds within the health system came together to organically create the Houston Methodist “Center for Innovation”.
- The importance for Digital Leaders to round with staff to collect direct feedback on how significant improvements to workflow, processes and performance can be made.
- Why Dr. Schwartz views herself and colleagues as stewards of the hospital, and how this mindset reflects in the culture of inclusivity and respect present at Houston Methodist.
- Hear Dr. Schwartz’s views on why “Phy-gital” care (combination of Digital and Physical) could disrupt current fee-for-care models as it enables patients to further personalize the care they receive, for e.g., Consider a patient who requires a 5-minute gynecology virtual visit vs. a 1-hour neurology visit.
For nearly a decade, Alan Sardana has combined a unique blend of curiosity and community-advocacy to uncover and disseminate best practices in healthcare innovation. He is an award-winning filmmaker, science advocate and startup enthusiast, having played an instrumental role in supporting multiple startups advance from seed financing through multiple funding rounds.
Alan is currently the Marketing Lead at SeamlessMD—the leading Digital Patient Engagement platform for health systems to engage, monitor and stay connected with patients across healthcare journeys. In his role, Alan is responsible for developing and advancing SeamlessMD’s positioning and partnerships.
Dr. Joshua Liu, Co-founder & CEO, SeamlessMD
Dr. Joshua Liu is a physician turned entrepreneur. He is currently the co-founder/CEO of SeamlessMD, which provides the leading Digital Patient Engagement platform for health systems to engage, monitor and stay connected with patients across healthcare journeys.
Joshua graduated as a medical doctor from the University of Toronto. During his medical training, he co-led a research project at UHN on hospital readmissions and sat on UHN’s physician advisory group for post-hospital discharge follow up. As a result, Joshua was inspired to develop technology to better support patients and prevent adverse outcomes such as a readmission – which ultimately led to him co-founding SeamlessMD.
About the Show
Rated one of the top 30 Best Digital Health Podcasts by FeedSpot, The Digital Patient takes an “edu-taining” approach to all things digital patient care. On this show hosts Dr. Joshua Liu, and Alan Sardana talk with healthcare, technology, and innovation leaders about the latest advancements in digital health, trends in digital transformation, and strategies for optimizing the patient experience. Guests include Dr. Becket Mahnke, CMIO, Confluence Health, Dr. Denise Basow, Chief Digital Officer, Ochsner, Dr. Michael Radtke, CMIO, Intermountain Health, Duska Kennedy, Chief Digital Officer, North York General Hospital, Dr. David Putrino, Director of Rehabilitation Innovation, The Mount Sinai Health System, Dr. Jay B. Shah, Chief of Staff, Stanford Health Care, and many more.