Embracing Healthcare Consumerism
Featuring: Matt Schwabel, Executive Director of Marketing Technology & Operations at UNC Health
Healthcare consumers are expecting more from their providers than ever before. From online scheduling to ongoing communication, health systems have to figure out how to meet the expectations of their patients and remove any friction from their experience with the health system.
Listen in as Matt Schwabel, Executive Director of Marketing Technology & Operations at UNC Health, and host Alan Tam, Chief Marketing Officer at Actium Health, delve into the world of healthcare consumerism and some of the challenges health systems are facing. They also discuss strategy – from master data management to coalition-building – necessary to achieve patient satisfaction in an increasingly consumer-driven world.
Listen to the Conversation
5 Key Takeaways:
- Shared purpose. The most essential step for any health system to take in order to provide a seamless patient experience is bringing together internal partners to develop a shared purpose. It’s not enough to assume all stakeholders are on the same page. Responding to healthcare consumerism and building a seamless online experience have to be priorities across all parts of the organization in order for any efforts to be successful.
- Coalition-building. Successful health systems have tons of experience in coalition-building. Marketing teams have to become partners with staff in population health, finance, operations, IT, and other parts of the health system in order to agree collectively on problems such as access and utilization of patient data. Then, coalitions can work together to tackle the problems, breaking down silos to achieve shared organizational goals.
- First-party data. Healthcare regulations and various privacy concerns are putting pressure on health systems to generate and manage their own data. Additionally, first-party data can help health systems conduct more effective patient outreach. The good news is that health systems already have the first-party data they need to better understand and communicate with their patients.
- Master data management. One of the key challenges with leveraging first-party data, however, is the data silos that exist within health systems. Too often, people and processes get in the way of utilizing comprehensive data for patient outreach. Health systems need a master data management strategy to understand each data source and how to use the data in a way that respects patient privacy.
- Comprehensive CRM. Getting a 360-degree view of a patient is possible with existing health system data, given they tackle master data management. A comprehensive CRM can help health systems use this data to go far beyond one-size-fits-all marketing campaigns, instead reaching patients with highly relevant information. Health systems should consider a comprehensive CRM that meets the needs of all parts of the organization, from population health to marketing.
Meet the Host
Chief Marketing Officer at Actium Health
LinkedIn: Alan Tam
As the Podcast Host for Hello Healthcare and Chief Marketing Officer at Actium Health, Alan is on a mission to help healthcare accelerate their digital transformation and advancement of the healthcare consumer experience. Through story telling and sharing insights from innovative healthcare leaders, Alan is hoping to drive meaningful impact and change to healthcare one conversation at a time.
About the Show
Consumer experiences, major disruptors, and AI tech are shaping healthcare for years to come. On Hello Healthcare, we dive deep on these issues with leaders who are driving change. We hope that their stories will drive you to demand or create a better future. Available to stream on all major listening platforms under Hello Healthcare Podcast and Healthcare NOW Radio.
Follow the show’s hashtag: #HelloHealthcarePod