Day 1 – Let Our 2021 12 Days to Christmas Posts Begin!
Today we kick off our annual series looking back at 2021 in 12 days to Christmas. From now through December 25th we’ll be featuring all of our favorite things that made this year so meaningful to us and health IT.
If you research the history of the song, the “12 Days of Christmas,” it reads like the misinformation of COVID-19 on social media today. It should not be confused with the actual “12 days of Christmas” established in the 1st Century, starting with Christmas day and ending on the “12th Night” which in the Christian world is the Epiphany (3 wise men follow the star and reach the manger, you know the story). But it wasn’t until the 18th Century when the song appears to have been traced to be in print. But even before then it is said to have been a rhyme associated with a memory game not a lyrical song. And through the years there have been many changes to the actual gifts to relate to the times. I would say we are due for some updating and modern meanings.
This also marks our 10th year of the series from our first Day 1 in December of 2012. I took a trip down memory lane in all that we have seen in the past 10 years. It is a lot! Here are some highlights.
- We have seen the HITECH Act begin and now come to an end with over $38 billion spent to move to digital health.
- If you bought McKesson or Cerner back then you would have more than double your money.
- We are still in the quest for interoperability.
- We have seen three presidents and five ONC National Coordinators.
- We saw changes to the HIPAA Laws that turned 25 this year.
- Remember ICD-10? Are we ready of ICD-11?
- The wearables industry has exploded from $12 billion to expected $74 billion in the near future.
- Merger and Acquisitions, start ups and out of business – we could write a book.
- Big retail making a play for a share in healthcare.
- Did I mention COVID?
And while strolling down memory lane I found one person that has continued to connect and collaborate with us. That was Dr. Nick! With honorable mentions to Matt Fisher, John Lynn, and Bill Hersh. Thanks guys, here is to another ten years!
But the biggest #1 news we want to share this year – Our radio station has past 1 million listeners and our podcast network has past 1 million plays!
From all of us at Answers Media Network happy holidays and New Year.
Roberta, Carol, Jim, Liz, Annmarie, Larry, Phillip, Jacques, Maureen, and Katherine.